Do you snore during sleep? Do you often wake feeling headachy or drowsy? You may be suffering from sleep apnea. Obstructive sleep apnea is a disorder that causes the breathing to start and stop repeatedly during the night. This happens if relaxed throat muscles block your airways while you sleep. Some symptoms of sleep apnea include:
– Headaches in the morning
– Gasping or choking during sleep
– Dry mouth or a sore throat upon waking
– Daytime drowsiness
Instead of allowing sleep apnea to have a negative effect on your life, look into your treatment options. Our dentist may recommend one or more of these treatments for sleep apnea in Pensacola, Florida:
– Positional Therapy: If you are suffering from sleep apnea, try to avoid sleeping on you back. Sleeping on your side can help keep your airways open.
– Nasal Decongestants: Using nasal decongestants may be helpful if you suffer from mild sleep apnea or snoring.
– Weight Loss: Losing weight can reduce or eliminate blockage of the airway.
– Oral Appliance Therapy: We can provide you with a custom-made oral appliance to wear during sleep. This appliance can guide the jaw into a more forward position, thus allowing the airway to remain open during sleep.
– Surgery: In severe cases of sleep apnea, Dr. Bryan Gerstenberg may recommend that you seek surgical treatment.
If you would like to learn more about sleep apnea or to schedule an appointment, we welcome you to contact Airport Dental at 850-477-8668 today.